The Witches' Brew blog

has been moved to new address

http://www.witchesbrewonline.com

Sorry for inconvenience... but join us at our new spot!

Witches' Brew: Brew Quotes: Jill Scott on Music

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Brew Quotes: Jill Scott on Music



Our Jilly from Philly is back and about to flood the airwaves with some real music when her new album, “The Light of the Sun” drops this summer. She tells Vibe that she’s ready to hear some good music (aren’t we all?) and she’s getting uber-freaky on her new project. Reowr!

Making this album has been very freeing because I normally labor over what I say and how I say it. I think it could be the time in my life; it could be my son… I don’t know, but there are things coming out of my mouth. I’m like, Hey! There are some catch phrases that I know women and men are going to use. I like this energy. I’m on a little more rock this time. There is some swag up in there and some sensuality that even makes me blush.

VIBE: You started off as a poet in Philadelphia in the early ’90s and you’ve also dabbled in writing rhymes. Do you find yourself breaking into a spontaneous freestyle when you’re alone at the house?

We do freestyle in the studio. It’s not something I would share with everybody. Sometimes I come off the head. But I’m not an MC. I’m a poet and a vocalist. But I have to add that I’m ready to hear some real MCs. Please, I beg of you. Just say something, give me a story. It can’t all be about money and women. That’s why I love what Jay Electronica is doing. He is so fresh with the lyrics. He is the truth.

Amen to that. Erykah thinks he’s nice with it too. (LOL)

Source

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Add your thoughts to the mix...

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home