The Witches' Brew blog

has been moved to new address

http://www.witchesbrewonline.com

Sorry for inconvenience... but join us at our new spot!

Witches' Brew: Health: Itchy Mouth

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Health: Itchy Mouth


When I was a little girl I hated apples. Every time I bit into one my lips would flare up like Superhead's labia after a video shoot. My mouth innards would also itch like crazy. This foul reaction forced me to give up apples for years. I recently found out why. Oral allergy syndrome is triggered by the proteins in some fruits and vegetables that are very similar to proteins in pollens. Doctors say the proteins confuses the immune system to have a reaction. That doesn't mean everyone allergic to pollen will have food sensitivities but I like when the ill shit that happens to my body has an explanation. Allergists suggest cooking the offensive products so you will be able to eat without any problems. Or, you can ignore the flare up, eat the food and look like Jigga in the lips. In a very small amount of cases oral allergies can block airways, cause hypertension, anxiety, vomiting and diarrhea. These allergies typically flare up during adolescence and disappear shortly after. It's up to you, but if I had to pick between a Delicious Red and a hospital stay, I'm going to pass the offending fruit, to the left, to the left!

1 Comments:

At Thursday, April 9, 2009 at 2:41:00 PM EDT , Blogger Unknown said...

I have the same allergy...lol. I thought I was crazy

 

Post a Comment

Add your thoughts to the mix...

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home