The Witches' Brew blog

has been moved to new address

http://www.witchesbrewonline.com

Sorry for inconvenience... but join us at our new spot!

Witches' Brew: Social Commentary: N.I.M.B.Y. Syndrome

Monday, April 20, 2009

Social Commentary: N.I.M.B.Y. Syndrome


I usually start every morning with a cup of Chai and the Today show. Today my heart was heavy because Anne Curry wasn't there to wish Matt, Meredith, the viewers and they mommas a breathy, deep-throated "good morning". Since I couldn't watch Annie turn her five minute newscast into the most dramatic shit ever told, I turned to local news. Big friggen mistake! Right after weather, they aired a story about a father who went ape shish and shot and killed his entire family including his three kids. HOLY BAD SEGUE BATMAN! The man's wife recently blogged that her husband was stressed about his new position. Sad, but I get it. This can be a cold world and unfortunately things happen that we don't entirely understand. So the reporter chick interviews a neighbor and what is the first that pours out of the neighbor's pie hole? "This type of thing never happens here." WTF? This isn't the first time I heard this phrase when crime hits a "quiet" community. Bulletin bitches: no neighborhood is immune from life's little glitches in the Matrix. I refer to this naive thought process as N.I.M.B.Y. (Not In My Backyard) Syndrome. Just because you don't see bars on windows or boast a corner store that's really is a front for Pookie and his Granny's crack ring, doesn't mean that the crazy can't come. Are we clear?

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At Monday, April 20, 2009 at 10:14:00 AM EDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That should have been edited right out of the story - "this never happens here" - what a cliche. Now if the neighbor said "Yeah, this is nothing, you should have been here for last week's massacre" that would have been news!

 
At Wednesday, April 22, 2009 at 3:05:00 PM EDT , Blogger RiPPa said...

Or what about when some idiot does some shit there's always somebody quick to say, "he was such a sweet person, I never knew this would happen or he would do something like this." I mean hell, are all this people just good at hiding crazy? No clues? Nothing?

 

Post a Comment

Add your thoughts to the mix...

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home