The Witches' Brew blog

has been moved to new address

http://www.witchesbrewonline.com

Sorry for inconvenience... but join us at our new spot!

Witches' Brew: Minx Nails: A Brew Review

Thursday, August 27, 2009

Minx Nails: A Brew Review

Two weeks ago, we told you about the Minx nail coverings. And being ever so much the guinea pig for my peoples (read: YOU), I bit the bullet and splurged on myself for the first time in a LONG time (darn recession). I've wanted to try Minx for the better part of a year anyway so, I figured, why not? I can eat soup for a few days...it won't kill me. Plus, my Brewchies need to be kept in the know! Wonder if I can get a tax write-off for this public service?

Anyway, I went to the
Minx website and found a local salon that offers the service. Turns out, the salon is MOBILE, as in, they come to YOU! That's right up my alley because I'm lazy (acceptance is the first step to recovery, right?) and I enjoy a good pampering session. Even better if it's in MY house.

I e-mailed the spa on a Friday night and, poof, by Monday night I was getting my nails & toes 'did' in the comfort of my living room in front of the flat screen. Ah...the life!

(Click Taste The Brew to read the rest & see pics...)

So, here's the deal with Minx. You pick your colors (they're on a sheet) and there's LOTS to choose from. I opted to keep it semi-corporate on my nails and go a little wild on my feet (if you can call GOLD nails 'corporate,' that is).

The process is super easy. It's all done under a light so the Minx stickers will adhere to the nail. That part kinda made me feel like chicken wings under a heat lamp though. But, you're not under the light forever. Be warned though...don't have grungy feet when you get this done. Since it's a sticker, you can't soak your feet first like you would for a normal pedi. I did miss that part of the relaxation experience but the lotion massage at the end made up for it.

The toe application process was really fast. Kendra, the manicurist, even got the Minx to stick on my teeny, wonky pinky toe nails! Props to her for that! The Minx'd toes can last up to a month before they start peeling off.

Now, onto the nails! This part took a little longer. As with the toes, you have to shape the stickers to fit your nail bed. My toes were faster to fit than my nails. I suspect, if you're a hand model or something then the stickers probably fit perfectly. But, I'm no type of model so mine required some shaping to fit. The nails can last 5-10 days (sometimes, longer depending on how active you are with your hands).

All in all, I LOVE it (the toes, especially). It's so much fun to look down at my feet and see metallic animal print looking back at me! Reowrrr!

The nails took a bit more getting used too. The edges can pucker a little. You can remedy that a bit by actually running a blow dryer over your nails periodically to make them stick. I also used a soft file to catch any edges that started to feel rough. By Wednesday night, there was a teeny bit of peeling on the tips of a few nails, but it's hardly noticeable.

You can bathe and wash your hands as normal, of course. But you should wear gloves if your hands will be in water too long. (But that's why we have dishwashers, right?) It's also recommended that you not use oils too much. But I always oil down after the shower (TMI?), and still do. And, of course to keep the ash-away, I still use hand lotion throughout the day with no problems.

They're easy to maintain... plus, there's no need to wait for anything to dry like with normal nail polish. I've TONS of questions & compliments about what's on my nails. But, as with anything new, easy or fancy... there's a price tag. The pedi was $60 and the mani was $45. You definitely get a service by going the 'mobile' spa route. Perhaps it's cheaper other places but I was impressed with the idea of having it done at home and with totally sanitary tools.

This is an occasional splurge for me, for sure. I am eager to try new colors though. I see these have finally made their way to eBay! I might have to jump on that (you know, it is a recession and all).

Anyway, here's the finished product on day one...
















And by day three with a teeny bit of puckering at the tips...











If you're in the DC-Metro/Baltimore area and want more info about New Day Mobile Spa*, click here.

*
Witches' Brew does not endorse, advertise or hold any stake in New Day Mobile Spa.
In other words, don't bug us if you've got an issue!

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At Thursday, August 27, 2009 at 1:26:00 PM EDT , Blogger Unknown said...

pretty

 
At Sunday, August 30, 2009 at 10:37:00 PM EDT , Blogger Lucien Henderson said...

Thank you for taking an interest in Minx, and putting forth the time, effort, and money to get Minxed and write the article. It is a fine piece of work that covers all the key issues that women want to know about Minx Nails.

I imagine that the 5 to 10 day period that Minx Nails will last, was given to you by the Minxicurist. It is true that nails do vary and what a women does with her hands will effect how long Minx will last. Our best Minx Masters, with almost two years of experience, apply Minx so that they last from two to six weeks. The peeling you experienced occurred too soon, but the Minx can be refitted after applying heat from a hair dryer.

Beginning in a few months, Minx Nails will launch a series of training seminars across the US. Our goal is to create a community of salons with the skills needed to ensure that all clients receive the same Minx experience that the celebrities and models have now.

Please contact me; I'd like to send you a set of our new Red Lightning.

Lucien Henderson,
#1 Salesmanx of Minx Nails
On Twitter as MinxNailsDotCom
Email at minxed@live.com

 

Post a Comment

Add your thoughts to the mix...

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home