The Witches' Brew blog

has been moved to new address

http://www.witchesbrewonline.com

Sorry for inconvenience... but join us at our new spot!

Witches' Brew: Is "LOL" the new Sike?

Sunday, May 17, 2009

Is "LOL" the new Sike?


Okay I'll admit it. I rather text than pick up the phone. I'll also email or send a message on FB because sometimes I just don't want to talk people. The fallout is much of my language has been reduced to acronyms such as BRB, TTLY, ETC!!! The other day I was sexting someone when they wrote, "so are you going to let me slap that a$#? LOL"! I let that slide because he added, LOL, which I use a lot and I also have a sense of humor. A couple days later I got a friend request on Facebook from someone back home who I hadn't seen in a while. The included a message, "Oh, I see you on FB, so you think your the s%$t now? LOL!" That got me wondering. If someone types "LOL" at the end of a diss does that cancel out the intended insult? So that means I won't get fired if I email my boss and tell him he's a "slimey MOFO, LOL"!? Or, I can reply to evites: "No, I can't come to your party because your mad corny, your crew is lame, so why would I want to be there? LOL!" Or, when a guy texts me for a date (yes they do that now), I can reply back, "Not if you wear those Mom jeans again. LOL!" I guess LOL is the equivalent of your auntie putting everyone's business on blast at the family reunion, as long as she added, "bless their heart"? "Oh, you know she's leaving her husband because he can't keep it in his pants and he gave her one of those dreadful diseases that caused her to blister and puss, bless her heart?" Like my grandmother always said at the middle of the joke, there's a little bit of the truth. 

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At Sunday, May 17, 2009 at 11:33:00 PM EDT , Blogger A.Smith said...

I like to paraphrase your grandmother with an Eminem quote "a lot of truth is said in jest..."

I believe people always say what they mean, they just don't always mean to say it...

In any case, I think "LOL" has become the new "sike" we use it to take the edge off of everything. I find myself using it to make sure the other person knows not to take me super seriously or to get mad, because in the world of text-only, it's up to the receiver to assign tone and emotion. A quick "LOL" can help them know to assign "good" tone and emotion.

Smiley faces, too, are used like "LOL" I've had to stop myself from using one like 3 times. (and again... just now)

 
At Monday, May 18, 2009 at 1:24:00 PM EDT , Blogger Unknown said...

i agree with A. Smith..

I was told "let's make a baby this weekend LOL"..
WTF

That spit aint funny..DONT CALL ME NO MORE

 
At Monday, May 18, 2009 at 10:53:00 PM EDT , Blogger XIRUS said...

LOL to me is the same as saying,"I don't mean no disrespect!" after dissing the HELL out of someone. Yeah Right! Whatevea!

i have just started using the living HELL out of smiley faces and LOL, like i am getting a commission with each use.

:-) "i don't mean no disrespect!" LOL

 

Post a Comment

Add your thoughts to the mix...

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home