The Witches' Brew blog

has been moved to new address

http://www.witchesbrewonline.com

Sorry for inconvenience... but join us at our new spot!

Witches' Brew: "We Be Grubbin!" Restaurant Review: Gladys and Ron Chicken & Waffles

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

"We Be Grubbin!" Restaurant Review: Gladys and Ron Chicken & Waffles



As a manic dater I feel it's my duty to put all this dating to good use by reviewing some of the many places I've dined thanks to the kindness and generosity of the chumps that wanna hump (oh shit! that rhymes! I need to get in the studio). Ok but yeah seriously, I'm doing this as community service, fellow food enthusiast such as myself have no time to waste eating sub par food. This is just my opinion of course, always try things for yourself. So here goes:

Restaurant: Gladys Knight and Ron Winans Chicken & Waffles

Location: 860 Capital Centre Blvd Upper Marlboro, MD 20774

Staff Appearance/Demeanor: Pretty good. The hostess smiled as soon as we walked in (I'm big on smiling, it sets the stage for everything else), took our names and told us the wait time. Basic black attire (shirt and pants). As far as I can see everyone looked neat and clean.

Wait Staff: Our waiter was nice and while he didn't come over right away to take our drink order, he did stop and tell us he was pretty swamped but would be with us right away. And he smiled..... so were all good!

The Food: ......... well this is where things take a turn. Was it disgusting? absolutely not. Was it better than let's say, Popeye's? again..... absolutely not. As a Negro woman it's safe to say I know a thing or two about a piece of chicken fried to a golden crispness. My granny made fried chicken that would make you wanna hump a wall! This chicken left my loins deflated. It's just well, um.... not good. To me if your establishment has "chicken" in the title then you damn well better be gettin jiggy with it up in there. Not the case here. The sides...... again, I expect mac n cheese from a colored establishment to be a gooey, cheesy sensation that makes me want to savor every bite, that did not happen here. Mine is better, and if you know how to doctor up Kraft mac n cheese that would even be better. It's soulless soul food. It's cooked, it's edible sure but it's not 'bringing it!"

The Sweet Tea: Go to McDonald's and get theirs for a $1.00...... the end.

So outta 5 stars I give Gladys & Ron a 3. I love when people treat me nice when I go out and they at least have that part down to a science. I think the food part can be salvaged but they need to hire a 'big mama' type as the head chef, right now I think there may be a Salvadorian man back there and his soul food formulations are not hitting the mark.

Til my next date..... toodles!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Add your thoughts to the mix...

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home