The Witches' Brew blog

has been moved to new address

http://www.witchesbrewonline.com

Sorry for inconvenience... but join us at our new spot!

Witches' Brew: Brew Books: "Push" by Sapphire

Monday, October 5, 2009

Brew Books: "Push" by Sapphire





Disturbing, compelling, profound....Those are just a few words to describe the book "Push" by Sapphire. I was eager to read it after hearing some of my friendgirls talk about it. Then I found out Oprah was making it into a movie due out in November so I knew I had to move. I read it in one day. Not to give too much away, the book focuses on Chareece "Precious" Jones, a Harlem youth trying to survive while living with obesity, illiteracy, sexual abuse and poverty. Her father began raping her while she was still in pampers and she ends up having two children by him. But that's only a small part of what she encounters. Precious' story is so sad and unfortunately familiar to many. By the end of the book you fall in love with her. You want to help her. You want to help period. Precious grapples with self-esteem issues that would make the average middle-class person rethink complaining about trivial ish like having to wait in line too long for your Soy Chai at Starbucks. Her life is real in the field! "Push" reminded me of "The Coldest Winter Ever", by Sistah Souljah. It's not a long read but I'll take a short blazin' book over a long boring book that gives me nothing. It also doesn't neatly tie everything up. It leaves you wondering which I love. There is already Oscar buzz surrounding the movie. "Precious" is scheduled to hit theaters in November with a star-studded cast including Monique, Paula Patton and Mariah Carey. I can't wait! Peep the trailer.....







Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Add your thoughts to the mix...

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home