The Witches' Brew blog

has been moved to new address

http://www.witchesbrewonline.com

Sorry for inconvenience... but join us at our new spot!

Witches' Brew: Hip Hop Pioneer Guru Dies of Cancer

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Hip Hop Pioneer Guru Dies of Cancer


I promise, we'll have some better news today...


Hip hop legend and Gang Star member Guru has died. Guru suffered a heart attack just over a month ago. He died of cancer-related causes yesterday after a long battle with the devastating disease.

Guru wrote this goodbye letter to his fans while in the hospital.. he was clear he did not want former Gang Starr collaborator DJ Premier to be part of any remembrance of him.
I, Guru, am writing this letter to my fans, friends and loved ones around the world. I have had a long battle with cancer and have succumbed to the disease. I have suffered with this illness for over a year. I have exhausted all medical options.

I have a non-profit organization called Each One Counts dedicated to carrying on my charitable work on behalf of abused and disadvantaged children from around the world and also to educate and research a cure for this terrible disease that took my life. I write this with tears in my eyes, not of sorrow but of joy for what a wonderful life I have enjoyed and how many great people I have had the pleasure of meeting.

My loyal best friend, partner and brother, Solar, has been at my side through it all and has been made my health proxy by myself on all matters relating to myself.

The letter continues...
I do not wish my ex-DJ to have anything to do with my name likeness, events, tributes etc. connected in anyway to my situation including any use of my name or circumstance for any reason and I have instructed my lawyers to enforce this. I had nothing to do with him in life for over 7 years and want nothing to do with him in death. Solar has my life story and is well informed on my family situation, as well as the real reason for separating from my ex-DJ.

Wow. He's pretty clear on that! Unless Solar wrote it...hmmm.

Keith "Guru" Elam was just 43 years old.

Click here to read his entire letter.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At Tuesday, April 20, 2010 at 9:52:00 AM EDT , Blogger Kousen Tora said...

I don't think that he wrote that. And if he did, it was coerced. This Solar cat has the word 'Shadee' written all over the place....

 

Post a Comment

Add your thoughts to the mix...

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home