The Witches' Brew blog

has been moved to new address

http://www.witchesbrewonline.com

Sorry for inconvenience... but join us at our new spot!

Witches' Brew: Take Dat, Take Dat... PETA Case #988790238423

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Take Dat, Take Dat... PETA Case #988790238423



Folks ain't effin' with PETA and their peeps no more.  Used to be a time when those fur-huggers would say some grimey isht or toss red paint on ya and you'd run off in shame and be on the fashion shyt list for a minute, only to emerge with a fresh chinchilla in about a year.  And so went the vicious cycle.

Well, not any more.  Celebs are going innnn on PETA and clapping back. Case in point: the extra faaaaabulous figure skater Johnny Weir.  One of Johnny's costumes has some fox fur on the sleeve.  Several groups (including PETA) have asked Johnny to stop wearing the fur... some going so far as to send him videos of how animals are tortured for their fur.  Another group called, Friends of Animals, sent him and his costume designer an open letter about the fur.

That letter sent Johnny's index finger pointing and his neck rolling:
“I totally get the dirtiness of the fur industry and how terrible it is to animals. But it’s not something that’s the No. 1 priority in my life. There are humans dying everyday. There are thousands if not millions of homeless people in New York City. Look at what just happened in Haiti. I tend to focus my energy, if there is a cause, on humans. While that may be callous and bad of me, it’s my choice.  Every skater is wearing skates made out of cow.  Maybe I’m wearing a cute little fox while everyone else is wearing cow, but we’re all still wearing animals.”
Then Weir went off on the group because this is the first time anyone has tried to put the verbal smackdown on his designer:

“She did what I asked her to. It wasn’t her choice to make me a costume with fur.  At least directly come to me and yell at me. Don’t attack my peeps.”
His peeps?  Is he 'bout to call Pookie & 'em? 




Source




Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At Thursday, January 28, 2010 at 12:10:00 PM EST , Anonymous Cay said...

Love this!!!! Love Johnny!

 
At Thursday, January 28, 2010 at 2:15:00 PM EST , Blogger She's Savvy said...

I read about this the other day. I applaud the skater for standing up for himself. PETA people love to take things to the extreme. It always trips me out when I see them protesting, as they often do in DC on Sundays, and you see them wearing leather shoes or belts. Fur and animal hides serve a purpose, they always have. I wish they'd get over themselves.

 

Post a Comment

Add your thoughts to the mix...

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home