The Witches' Brew blog

has been moved to new address

http://www.witchesbrewonline.com

Sorry for inconvenience... but join us at our new spot!

Witches' Brew: Why We Hate The Lakers: Reason #586

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Why We Hate The Lakers: Reason #586


As the city of Los Angeles grapples with a ginormous deficit, teacher layoffs and home foreclosures what does it do? Does it rally to find extra money to pay the inner city educators so schools in the hood won't close? Does it buy up some of the foreclosed homes to rent them back to struggling families just trying to get buy? Nope, it throws the Lakes a $1 million dollar championship parade! Yeah, we're going to Disneyland beyatches! After a big backlash about the costs, L.A.'s mayor, Antonio Villaraigosa, said some of the city's wealthier residents pitched in $850 G's to help the costs for today's parade. The Lakers and its owner picked up some of the bill as well. "Alight, okay, what's up, shut up!" The Lakers won, they always win, it's so not a big deal anymore. Couldn't this same moolah go toward fixing some of that city's ills? Here's a thought for you Einsteins on the left coast: how about the team's MVP Kobe, take some of his wife's teef sharpening money and help? I'm sure that alone will fund one teacher for a year and then some. I guess what I'm trying to say is that society has things bass-awkwards. It's sad and shouldn't be celebrated, but maybe that's just me. Go Lakers, I guess?

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At Wednesday, June 17, 2009 at 11:29:00 AM EDT , Blogger MK said...

I have been lurking on this blog for awhile and I love your site. I heart you even more now because of this post. See, I am a Los Angeles Native, still live here. I heard there was going to be a Laker parade and I thought, "what the hell for?" So won, and? People are acting like its the second coming or something; its just a game. Mind you I live right near the staple center so you can imagine how folks were acting in my neighborhood. Now what I didn't know is that is was being funded? I couldn't believe what my eyes just read. Are you freakin' kidding me? Just plain ignornant smh

 
At Wednesday, June 17, 2009 at 1:57:00 PM EDT , Blogger Jem said...

The Lakers get no love, huh :-)
Why do people hate them so much?

 
At Thursday, June 18, 2009 at 3:46:00 AM EDT , Blogger MK said...

I can’t even say that I hate them; I just don’t see how it’s this big of a deal. A million dollars for a parade and people in the streets going crazy. In my neighborhood today it looked like the riots re-visited. Not only that but on my way home (via the bus) not one but two fist fights broken out over someone not liking the Lakers. Grown men rolling around on the floor of the bus, smh.

 

Post a Comment

Add your thoughts to the mix...

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home